Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Deschutes Abyss vertical

My good friend Chris was cool enough to offer up his bottles of 2006 & 2007 Abyss, along with a 2008, for a vertical tasting at Rose & Crown this past Sunday. Just a standard Sunday of drinking some high end beers with friends.


In all we tasted:

2006 vintage Abyss - stand out of the day for me. Obviously. Awesome chocolate aroma. Subdued flavors of roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruit, charred flavors, and vanilla. This one has come together nicely. As Bill Brand would say "a stunner".


2007 vintage Abyss

2008 vintage Abyss

Westvleteren 12

Westvleteren 8


Anchor Our Barrel Ale - Aged in Anchor Rye whiskey barrels. Caramel, vanilla, rye, wood flavors. A gem from Anchor. Hopefully I have the patience to sit on my bottle for awhile. I imagine it will be even better in 8-12 months.


Bell's Hopslam

Troeg's Nugget Nectar

Bear Republic APEX - on tap

And probably some other stuff I've forgotten.

Good times. Thanks to everyone that brought out the beer, chocolate, and cheese.

No comments: