Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Vacation week is tough

The greatest man ever, I mean the Fed Ex guy, brought me a box of beer this afternoon. I traded 2 Lost Abbey seasonals for this box of 12. Pretty good deal I think. I can't get any of these beers in California. Guess that's my plans the rest of the day.



(2) Dogfish 90 Minute IPA
(2) Victory Storn King Stout
(3) Bell's Expedition Stout
(1) Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
(2) Duck Rabbit Milk Stout
(1) Highland Oatmeal Porter
(1) Bell's Java Stout

I'm on a bigtime stout streak.

By the way I tried the most intersting beer I've ever had. Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout. It's an Imperial coffee stout that's been aged in bourbon barrels.

It was so good I reviewed it on BeerAdvocate.com. It's here: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/19960/?ba=bbothen

I have some spare ribs in the smoker. Gives me some time to sample a couple of these.

Obligatory Tiny pic. The sun makes her happy. Would she lose in a cute cat contest? Doubt it.




First stop. Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. 90 minute means that for the entire 90 minutes the beer is boiling that hops are continually added, get it? They make a 60, 75, 90, & 120! minute version. Esquire magazine called this beer the best IPA in america, but what do they know? It's really good. Lots of double IPAs taste like hop juice, but this is nicely balanced with alot of malt. Not my all time favorite, but very good.



Dogfish are known for their wacky beers, always pushing the boundries of what a beer can be. They have a beer called Pangea that has 1 ingredient from every continent, beer brewed with muscat grapes, a stout that is 18% alcohol, stout brewed with chickory, a raspberry beer that is brewed with a TON (literally) of raspberries. My friend Alicia has one of these in her fridge, but hasn't offered it up at any gatherings yet. Hmmm.

Next stop. Bell's Expedition Stout. Never had this one before. 10.5%. Bitter coffee & licorice flavors. Definately taste the 10%. Good, not great. I just had the best stout I've ever tasted a week ago. This may be better than I'm giving it credit for. Jaded.



Ribs are done. Dinner time. With Chocolate Macroon cupcake made by my lovely wife for desert. I should have paired this with the stout, but oh well. Next time.



Here's the cupcake Ronda made. It's a rich chocolate cupcake with a macaroon filling topped with chocolate butter cream & shredded coconut.



Ummm ummm. Later.

No comments: